Sunday, November 22, 2009

The Fashion Playlist

Music has always been an inspiration of mine in each aspect of my life. So I decided to show how your favorite genre of music could affect your personal style. One's personal style should derive from every fiber of one's being. Meaning, that one should be able to find inspiration anywhere to gain the style that says who you are. I took 10 music genres and give examples of outfits and how to use each genre in your fashion life.
Lets start with Pop. Pop music is about explosive color and intense volume. It is a fun style that is bold and will stand out in any crowd. In my Pop outfit, I used Basics Coral Tube Top, Bisou Checker Skirt, Baby Phat Multi Chain Necklace, Rio Pastel Bustier Top, Decades Golden Waist Belt, Baby Phat Gold Strap Gold Heels, and Voile Black and White Handbag. Be sure to know what colors you want to use because you can work around your desired color palette. Mixing colors with prints can help you get the look you want.
-
Rock Music is about attitude and sass. The clothes are important but the attitude is essential when making your Rock and Roll ensemble. In my Rock outfit, I used Rio's Gaga Chain Bra, Fallen Angel Faux Hair Scarf, Miss Sixty Suede Covered Ankle Boots, Miss Sixty Wide Sash, Bisou DIY Slashed Pants, and the Rio Hotbuys purse. When making my outfit, I decided that I wanted the bottom half of the outfit to be very exciting, and wanted the top half to compliment that. So once I chose the pants and shoes, I decided that the fur scarf is the best way to compliment the bottom and topping it off with the Gaga chain bra was for that final touch of flair. When making your Rock look, you should be fearless and open to experimentation.
Hip Hop Music is another style besed strictly on Attitude. But this attitude is much more different than Rock. In my Hip Hop Outfit, I used the Fallen Angel Geometric Shift Dress, 2 Miss Sixty Striped Cuffs, Miss Sixty Buckle Boots, Bisou's Grace stone Necklace, and Voile Pantyhose. When making a hip hop outfit, I think a lot about different textures. I wanted to exaggerate the textures by forming this outfit around the Geometric Shift dress. Everything in this outfit is used to compliment this dress. The pops of color that was given by the accessories add to the unique texture of the dress. Using black shoes and a simple pair of pantyhose help to not bring this outfit too over the top. Always remember to edit when putting an outfit together.
-
R&B music is about soul and glamour. Alicia Keys has always been an inspiration to me and she should be an inspiration to you when making your R&B Outfits. In my R&B Outfit, I used Bisou Platforms Inspired By Dolce & Gabbana, Voile Pantyhose, Baby Phat All Over Print Tank, Rio Sequin Rouched Skirt, and an Elle Extra Wide Belt. Feel free to go for a more sultry look than usual but also remember that R&B Music has a great sense of elegance and sophistication. Don't lose that when making you outfits.
Techno music is very fun and very colorful. The difference between pop and techno is that rather than just going for a bold look, Techno has a lot to do with the shape of the outfit. Think greatly about the Silhouette when making a Techno inspired outfit. In my Techno Outfit, I used the Bisou Dot Printed Tube Top, Bisou High Waisted Pants, Bisou TM Ankle Boots, Miss Sixty Wide Sash, and the Rio Wide Buckle Belt. A slim and long shape is ideal for this certain look. So I used the high waisted pants to give the illusion of my medoll being much taller. The bright colors and prints add that fun aspect that a techno look craves.
-
When I think of Country, I think of southern belles. So that was the main focus of my Country look. In my Country Outfit, I used the Decades 20's Necklace, Pretty in Pink Leighton Sandal, Mudd Distressed Skinny Jeans, Pretty in Pink Flower Print Tube Dress, and the Vivienne Tam Floral Applique Coat. Country outfits have a lot to do with proportion. It shouldn't be all slim or all voluminous. You need to find a happy medium. So I made the top half flow a lot more than the bottom half. I accentuated the Southern Belle aspect of the look by going with a light, delicate color palette. It is essential if this is the look you are going for.
Alternative music has some similarities to rock. But when making an Alternative inspired outfit, you should have a little less edge than a rock outfit and add some grunge. In my Alternative Outfit, I used a Candie's Pleated Ponte Skirt, Fallen Angel Rounded Sash, Miss Sixty Taste Print Tank, Fallen Angel Metal Detailed Belt, Baby Phat Gladiator Heels, and a Philosophy Casual Olive Jacket. It is a very "in your face", "all about me" style. Don't be afraid to go out of your comfort zone and try something new. Change is good and adopting the Alternative style could be a great change for many.
-
Honestly, I am not a fan at all of Folk Music but I definitely love the style. The style itself is chic, unique and High Fashion. In my Folk outfit, I used a Folk Head Shawl, Bisou Printed Silk Skirt, Bisou Blouse Inspired by Margiela, Fallen Angel Tube Top, Decades Golden Waist Belt and a Folk Ankle Tie Sandal. A lot of thought went into this outfit. I knew that the head shawl was perfect for the look so I started with that. To compliment the shawl, I used a bisou blouse that mimicked the line of the shawl. I complimented the colors with a printed silk skirt that obtained both colors from the shawl and the blouse. I finally added the golden waist belt to break the outfit up a bit and add a pop of metallic.
Reggae music expresses a beautiful island feel that can be easily shown in your ensemble. In my island outfit, I used a Basics Apricot Tube Top, Rio Brown High Waisted Belt, Basics White Tube Top, Philosophy Chestnut Flat Sandals, Baby Phat Stacked Bangles, and a Folk Coral Printed Skirt. I focused firstly on the color. I wanted a light, simple color palette. Earth tones work best when making a Reggae inspired outfit. I chose to use yellow and brown as the main colors and to also compliment the lightness by using a lot of white. I mimicked the color of the skirt with two basic tube tops and complimented the outfit with brown flats and a brown belt.
-
Latin music has a certain flavor that is bold, exciting and sultry. The main colors that should be used are red and black. But feel free to play around with other colors to compliment your outfit. In my Latin outfit, I used Voile Pleather Gloves, Miss Sixty Layered Print Dress, Candie's Jet-Tone Beaded Necklace, Voile Pantyhose and Voile Bow Tie Pumps. I was sure to go for drama when making my latin look. Remember that being dramatic can be a great thing when making your outfits. I worked around the miss sixty dress by using black accessories to compliment the sultry look of the dress. And i used a simple pantyhose to compliment the shape of the dress and to create a nice, clean line that runs through the ensemble.
--
I hope you can take these outfits and work them into your clothes. Inspiration comes from many different things and music has been one of the biggest ones. Remembered that inspiration comes from everywhere and that you should keep your fashion mind on at all times. Always be on the look out for new inspirations and be sure to use the things you love in your clothes. You should show off what you love. Not hold back.
Share:

10 comments

Caroline said...

Good post - you explained each outfit well! I think it was a bit long though, I was starting to get a bit bored by the end, although that may have been because I hadn't heard of those music types so much.

Caroline [crazycaz07]
x.

charlotte said...

AMAZING POST!!
All of the outfits were great (:
and the explanations were rlly good
Ur such an amazing writer

I hope you win!!

xx
Charlotte

Anonymous said...

Really cool!!!

DeSushiTimes said...

Incredible post!
It really shows you put a lot of time and effort in it and it really pays of :D

The outfits were great, your writing was great and the idea is very original :D

This one should definitely be posted on the "real" blog ^.~

Ooglefish said...

Good idea and the post was good - very detailed. Was abit too long though, struggled towards the end to keep reading. Small regular posts like this would be good though!

Emorox4eva/Jenna said...

I agree I think your posts have been great, but too long. I'm guilty of this as well, but you must trim down what you say about Each thing to a sentence or 2 each or it will never get read by most.

Adrienne-Miranda said...

sorry, I'll definately shorten them up. I just thought that most would scroll to their favorite genre and read about that. So I wanted to be detailed. But I'll definately get them shorter

Selina/fig36 said...

Brilliant Idea!
I absolutely love it :]
However make them shorter.
Readers lose interest after a while.

DeSushiTimes said...

I really don't think you should make it shorter! It's awesome that it's so detailed! However perhaps you can turn it into a series of posts instead? show 2 outfits everytime instead of all of them? ^^

sd_is_da_best / Sinead said...

Very long but very good! I found myself just looking at the pictures and skipping the words though...so maybe make the description slightly shorter.?

© PRACTICE BLOG | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig